Thursday, June 9, 2011

Treasure

After you've lived in the same city for a certain length of time, it's easy to forget, or to stop being able to see, what surrounds you. The daily routine brings you to the same workplace or campus, your favourite coffee shop, your most convenient convenience store. Whether you commute on foot or by car, by bus or bike, your passing surroundings eventually turn into a familiar blur. Am I right? This has certainly been my experience, and I often have to remind myself what a huge number of awesome things to buy, do, eat and look at exist in my downtown St. John's neighbourhood.



One of the treasures I'm thinking about is The Bookery/Sweet Relic on Signal Hill. I had a wonderful visit there on a recent sunny Saturday. The books are so well chosen, and the way they are presented (perched on wooden tables, on the fireplace mantle, in small window sills) made me want to bring them all home. The little kid's section is excellent too. I found some treasures- not just books- this place also sells some quality foodie items, and I bought a package of Birds and Beans coffee, which is delicious. After about two hours, my partner had to drag me away so we didn't miss out on the day's sunshine entirely!



Another treasure of a spot is the Leaside Manor. Though not quite downtown, it's not much of a walk from the west end of Water St. This has got to be one of the best places to stay in the province. A few years ago in the Fall, my fella and I stayed here for a night (in the Confederation Suite) and, though it's actually in walking distance to our house, we both really felt that sensation of being totally removed from the familiar. A very friendly woman welcomed us when we arrived, and otherwise, we were left completely alone. Also, the variety of suites seem to reflect different sorts of moods- some are quite sexy and some are more traditional, and all are lovely. Such a treat.



And of course I include Posie Row in this list, not just because I work here and and know it to be a shop unlike any other, but because I remember this place opening when I was a teenager, and it was always such a treat to visit and wander amongst the great assortment of treasure- from fine silver jewellery to all manner of odds and ends that even my unemployed, teenage self could afford! And as far as the shop goes, the stock has changed, but overall this continues to be the case. Oh the treasure!





No comments:

Post a Comment